Thursday, May 5, 2011

On the Wall Sat a Cat...

     On the back courtyard wall of a long-standing town house, sat a calico cat. She surveyed a flock of sparrows, scattered on and below a little black feeder (set there for their use,) with the detached interest of her kind. She was Cook's favorite after all, and needn't worry about catching sparrows for her supper; besides mice were much fatter and the rewards ever so much nicer. (The last time she caught a sparrow she had been jabbed severely with the broom. Whenever she caught a mouse she received a fine dish of buttermilk and the choice leavings off the humans table, they were rather wasteful creatures weren't they?) 
     Her pastime was interrupted quite abruptly when, with a beating of many small wings, the sparrows took off all together in a cloud of brown feathered bodies. The cause of this disarray continued running, completely disregarding, (as humans are wont to do,) the disturbance he had caused.
     Now what is that human kit' up to now? wondered the cat as she stretched contemplatively. With a final twitch of her tail she set off along the wall to where, in a corner behind the little wagon cook used for market goods and such, the human child had stopped.
     Curling her tail around her paws, she settled down to observe this careless intruder to her domain: He was a breathless boy of seven or eight with sun faded brown hair and a jam stained shirt.  

Free domain photo from http://en.wikipedia.org
     This was a writing exercise I set myself a few months ago. The first version was a very boring run of sentiences:There was a cat sitting on the wall. Below the wall there was a bird feeder. The cat watched the birds. Then a boy came running by. The boy stopped at the corner of the wall. The cat walked to the corner and watched himVery dull, but it did serve to jump-start my imagination. I have no idea what comes next but I liked the way it came out. Who knew writing a cat would be so much fun? Any way I am trying to write something on here instead of always posting photos. There is nothing wrong with only having photos I suppose, but it was not what I intended to do to begin with and I rather feel as though I am hiding behind them. Any way I thought I'd see what you all thought of this little snippet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...